Sunday, February 23, 2014

TBW Student Insights by Stephanie / Introduction of The New Jim Crow


On the Importance of Advocacy
by Stephanie (TBW, 2014)

"In the introduction Michelle mentions that there is no advocacy to preserve affirmative action (Pg. 11 Introduction). The word advocacy is powerful in itself, but lacked in so many areas, health, schools, home, courts, and the list goes on. I am a strong believer in being an advocate; it is what I want to do in my life. I am going into the Social Work profession, so advocating for those who do not have a voice, can have at least one. This section made me realize that much more of the importance of advocacy and how it impacts lives. Advocacy relates to racial disparities and the incarcerated population because there are not enough voices to reach out to this population and help them. How can there be enough voices to reach out when prison population keeps increasing. The help needed for these individuals cannot keep up with the inflation rates. This is just talking about advocates who do this as a profession. Society could advocate. I believe society is undereducated on how much our criminal justice system needs reforming. There is not enough push for a reform, without voices we lose hold of affirmative action. It is clear to me how important advocacy is."


No comments:

Post a Comment